You’ll never have to miss a workout again! Tabata is the workout to do when you are in a RUSH!
- Tabata is a 4-minute VERY INTENSE workout. It consists of 20 seconds of “all out effort” followed by 10 seconds of rest.
- Repeat this pattern 8 times for a total of 4 minutes.
Whenever I travel for Bodybuilding.com and Gaspari Nutrition, I always wake up a few minutes earlier to do a TABATA workout in my hotel room, followed by foam rolling and stretching. Here I am in my Las Vegas hotel room … I rearrange the furniture to create space for my jump rope.
I do Tabata Workouts in my Hotel Room when travelling. It saves time! My jump rope is portable. I use my body weight for resistance.
- When I say “all out effort”, that means you should feel like your lungs are going to explode by the time you reach the 2-minute mark.
- Watch the workout to hear how my breathing changes over the course of 4 minutes. You can see and hear me struggling!
- After doing extremely intense Tabata exercise, your body will continue to use more oxygen than normal during the next 24 hours. In other words, your metabolism will be higher, which means you will continue to burn extra calories.
- Do not do more than 4 minutes of Tabata at a time. The 4-minute workout should be so intense, that you couldn’t possibly do another 20 seconds of “all out effort” after the 4 minutes are up. If you can do more than 4 minutes, this means you were not engaged in “all out effort”.
Tabata saves my butt when I’m in a rush. I never have to miss a workout! That’s my secret fitness weapon!
Guess who stars in this workout? Yep, my cat, Taz. He even narrates the workout. It’s called TAZata Training.
**Today’s workout is REAL TIME! You don’t have to replay the video! Boom!
The Famous Talking Timer!
Everyone keeps asking. What timer do I use? He says “Work, Rest”.
Well, I kept it a government secret until now. The timer I use on my laptap can be found at tabatatimer.com. Shh! Don’t tell people … it’s our secret.
**Did you remember to enter my weekly Bodybuilding.com Giveaway on my Facebook Page? Do it now! You could win!
- A Gymboss Timer
- Shock-absorbing surface, such as interlocking floor mats.
- A medicine ball (I used 12 lbs)
- A Dr. Sara Solomon Cross Speed Jump Rope by Buddy Lee Jump Ropes. It’s portable and inexpensive. I always travel with mine!
Always a Must!
- Read my workout rules before you begin!
Drink your BCAAs!
Stay hydrated with water.
- I like to add BCAAs (Gaspari Aminolast). Click here to read why.
- I also add pre-workout (Gaspari SuperDrive). Click here to read why.
- Note that both of these are suitable for fasted training (They will not break your fast).
Superdrive for a Super Tabata! Click to get super!
This circuit consists of 3 different exercises. Perform the circuit 2 times for 8 cycles, which takes 4 minutes. Set your gymboss timers for 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest. You have to hustle between exercise. Keep it mega-INTENSE!
- Jump Rope: Quickly move forward with high step and quickly move backward with basic bounce. Keep your core tight!
- Rolling Medicine Ball Push-ups
- Jump Rope (as in #1)
- Burpees with a Push-up
Do the workout with me. Just click on the video.
Here are the Bodybuilding.com Supplements I showcased in today’s video:
- 1 scoop Aminolast (BCAAs) and 1 scoop Superdrive (preworkout) 15-30 minutes before fasted training
- 1 scoop Aminolast during training.
- 1 scoop Aminolast every 2 hours post-workout until you break your fast. Wait at least 1 hour after training before breaking your fast to maximize fat burning.
- During the fasted phase, it’s ok to take the following (research suggests it helps support fat burning … um hello, yes please!). I like to take these before my fasted training. Read why:
- Green tea extract: when used in combination with exercise, it can assist you with your fat loss goals.
- 1 CLA (1 pill = 10 calories)… it’s not insulinogenic so it won’t break your fast. Take the remaining doses of CLA during your feeding window. If you prefer, you can just take your CLA during your feeding window. CLA has been shown to support fat loss and promote lean gains when used in conjunction with exercise and diet.
- L-carnitine with 1 fish oil. (fish oil is not insulinogenic and 1 pill = 10 calories so it won’t break your fast). L-carnitine has been shown to increase the amount of fat you burn, especially during exercise. Normally L-carnitine should be taken with carbs to ensure uptake into the muscle, but this would break our fast. Good news: fish oil also has been shown to make this happen so you can take L-carnitine during your fast with a fish oil pill, and then take the remaining doses of L-carnitine and fish oil during your feeding window.
- Do you have to take the CLA, L-carnitine and fish oil during your fast? Nope. You can wait until your eating window if you want. I added these during my fasting window a few months ago, and it’s quite evident my body is leaner now than it was 2 months ago (and I even increased my calories for the past 2 months!). Just saying.
- When I break my fast, I take Anavite (Multivitamin). It’s not always feasible to obtain all of your micronutrients from food sources, especially when following a reduced calorie diet. A daily multivitamin will solve this problem.
- Yes! I’m on instagram! Click to follow me!
- My Diet:
- My Latest Guilt-Free Recipes:
- My Most Popular Home Workouts:
B-Elite Fuel: Get your B-Elite Meals delivered to Your Door!
Dr. Solomon is a practicing dentist (DMD) in Toronto, Canada, and holds a B.Sc in Physiotherapy. This certified personal trainer, spinning instructor, professional fitness model and cover girl is known around the world for [read more]
– See more at: http://www.drsarasolomon.com/home-workout-31-tabata-hell/#sthash.oYCBScdn.dpuf