I receive a lot of emails and messages from people looking for training, nutrition, and fitness advice. Most of them want to know how to lose a few pounds. Many say they are currently eating properly, and exercising but nothing is helping them lose the extra pounds.
I usually send them away with some “homework”. I have them write me out a food journal of EVERYTHING they are eating or drinking. It is always quite the eye opener for them when they hand in their food journal.
Sometimes, the slightest changes in a person’s current diet can make such a big difference! Here are some helpful tips on how you can take a look at your own menu and make the small changes for a big difference.
1) Beware of the Liquid Calories – Avoid the sweetened drinks and of course, alcohol. Drinks lots of water!
2) Go Green – Include more veggies in your current diet. Not only will you be feeding your body with nutrients, you will be crowding out the other foods that are higher in calories and fat.
3) Whole wheat – Choose whole wheat over refined. There are higher amounts of vitamins, minerals, EFA (essential fatty acids), antioxidants, and extra fiber which will keep you full longer and maintain steady blood sugar levels.
4) Add Protein – Adding lean protein (red meat, chicken, fish, eggs) will help build lean muscle and a strong immune system.
5) Portion Control – Even lowering your portions by 15% can help. Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day.
6) Healthier Kitchen – Avoid temptations by choosing to stock your kitchen with healthy options. Avoid processed foods and stick to the outer perimeter of the grocery store when shopping.
Get started on your own food journal and be honest. Making these small changes and tweaking your current diet a little will make such a big difference.
Try it and let me know!