Summer is officially here! With the summer excitement also comes the challenges to stay on track with our fitness and nutrition goals. There are always a number of distractions going on, sometimes all at once and it’s hard to stay focused.
Unfortunately we can’t put our goals aside because it’s summer. Here are some tips to help you focus for the next couple of months:
1. Drink more water. Water aids in digestion, hydration, and metabolic function. It also helps flush any toxins out of the body. Flavour your water by cutting up some fresh lemons, limes, cucumbers, oranges, or anything else that you can think of that would add a nice zing to it!
2. Keep a Food Journal. If you aren’t on a strict meal plan, get yourself a food journal. Writing down EVERYTHING you consume will make you more aware and thus more accountable.
3. Plan, prepare, and pack your meals ahead of time. Set aside an evening or 2 and prepare food for the week. Eat 5-6 small portioned meals a day including lean proteins, good carbs, and good fats. Get creative: boil, broil, sautee, steam, roast, bake, and of course BBQ your food. Boost your fiber intake which will keep you full longer by eating lots of vegetables.
4. Do your workouts as early as possible. If you work out at a gym, do it as early as possible. It allows you with the rest of the day to do what enjoy most about summer, getting outdoors with family and friends!
5. Take your workout outside. The summer months are a perfect time to take your workouts outdoors! A nice run outside, some plyometric or a body weight workout in the park, a nice hike, a bike ride, a swim, or anything else you can think of that will keep you moving. Just make sure you protect yourself with sunscreen, wear a hat, and as mentioned, drink plenty of water.
6. Set a summer goal. Seeing as summer is so short, why not set a short-term goal? This challenge can help you stay focused. Track your progress weekly and take someone on the journey with you so you can have each other for support and accountability.
Do not set yourself up for failure this summer. Stay focused, create new goals, and as always, listen to your body if you are working out outdoors. If it’s too hot, opt for an indoor workout.
Have a great fit summer everyone!
Facebook athelete page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nichelle-Laus-Fitness-Model-Figure-Competitor-Kickboxing-Instructor/218212881525939?ref=hl