How Massage Benefits and Enhances Anti-Aging Efforts
If you’re anything like me and are worried about looking old too early you have probably been looking for an anti-aging treatment option to delay wrinkles and keep skin tight. We all want to turn back the clock and keep our skin as young and as beautiful as possible. Creams and serums play an important role, but you may be surprised to learn that one of the most effective treatments doesn’t come in a bottle. Massage can enhance the anti-aging treatments you’re already using and help you to keep your skin younger looking longer.
How Massage Benefits the Skin
Many anti-aging treatments target just one problem (wrinkles, brown spots, dry skin, etc.), but massage carries multiple rejuvenating benefits. Let’s take a look:
- Remove Toxins– Massage increases the blood flow and circulation to the face. This brings more oxygen to your skin and flushes toxins out. Basically it’s like giving your face a good spring cleaning: out with the old and in with the new. Fewer toxins means clearer skin (and we all want fewer blemishes) and a brighter, more radiant complexion.
- Tighten Facial Muscles– Hiding under your skin is a complex network of facial muscles that support and shape the face. Massage targets these muscles and keeps them taut and tight. It also stretches the connective tissues that hold muscles in place, keeping them strong. One of the purposes of a facelift is to tighten sagging facial muscles; a massage is preemptive therapy to keep these muscles tight before the sagging ever starts.
- Unclog Pores– One of the lesser known benefits of facial massage is fewer clogged pores. Massage can help keep your pores clear, especially those across the nose.
- Increase Collagen– Facial massage stimulates a special kind of cell called a fibroblast. These cells produce collagen, an essential component in the framework of our skin. Increased collagen can keep your skin looking younger and tighter. Dr. Gordon Lewis, the founder of Lewis Plastic Surgery explains, “As the body ages it produces less collagen. This leads to wrinkles and sagging facial skin. Boosting your natural collagen production through facial massage can help fight this problem and keep your skin looking younger.”
- Release Tension– Massage is a time honored technique for relaxation. It can release tension in muscles potentially reducing wrinkles caused by overactive muscles. Smile lines, foreheads lines, etc. can all be benefited by facial massage.
Facial massage is no longer just for clear skin treatment, but also an incredible anti-aging strategy with several benefits. Get a facial today and look forward to clear pores, fewer wrinkles, and tighter skin!
Board certified plastic surgeon and founder of Lewis Plastic Surgery, Dr. Gordon Lewis, has been serving the Richmond, VA area for the last 9 years. Lewis Plastic Surgery’s goals are to achieve natural and beautiful results from Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery with unequaled attention to detail and warmth. They bring experience, talent and artistry to every unique patient whether you desire subtle or dramatic improvement. Lewis Plastic Surgery offers breast lift and reconstruction, liposuction, facelift, rhinoplasty, Botox, dermal fillers, and several spa services. They look forward to welcoming you to their practice.