As most of you know, I will be instructing the women’s kickboxing classes at Battle Arts Academy! Battle Arts Academy is a brand new 15,000 sq ft MMA/Strength & Conditioning and Pro Wrestling state of the art facility located at 4880 Tomken Road, in Mississauga, Ontario. It is owned and operated by WWE Superstar Santino Marella, International Filmmaker Steven J Wong, and media mogul Terry Frendo.
I am so excited to be teaching again! I really hope you all can make it out to my classes, you will not be disappointed, I promise!
Not only is kickboxing a fun, full body workout, it also teaches you self defense. Kickboxing has so many other benefits such as improved flexibility, coordination, and endurance. It is also helpful in managing stress, and helps boost your confidence and self-esteem.
If you are looking to add a little variety into your current workout routine, try adding kickboxing 2 to 3 times a week. Make sure you learn the basic punches, kicks, and blocks from someone who has the proper expertise and skill level. This will help in avoiding injury.
Some other key points to remember to avoid injury are:
• Stretch before and after your workout
• Warm up with a few minutes of skipping and shadow boxing to get the blood flowing and heart going
• Kickboxing can burn up to 800 calories an hour so it’s important to stay hydrated.
• Avoid locking your joints and keep your kicks low until your flexibility improves.
• Everyone’s fitness levels are different so make sure to go at a pace that is comfortable for you.
• Forcefully exhale while you are kicking and punching. Not only does this help oxygen get to your brain and muscles, it will also help in strengthening the muscles of your core.
• For protection, always wear proper equipment such as hand wraps and bag gloves.
• Basic Stance – Keep your feet shoulder width apart and stand diagonally with your lead foot (if you are right handed, your lead foot will be your left leg) slightly ahead. With your hands in a fist, bend your elbows and keep your hands in front of your face. Lean forward slightly, and keep your abdominals tight. Always be ready for action by keeping on the balls of your feet.
All punches include a rotation of the hips and pivoting of your rear foot. This allows the power to come from your hips, which in turn gives more power to your punch.
• Jab (1) – With your lead hand, rotate your hips slightly and punch towards the face and pull back immediately.
• Cross (2) – Using your other hand, strike straight towards the face.
• Hook (3,6) – Strike to the side of the face rather than straight on.
• Uppercut (4,5)– Strike to the face but landing it under the chin.
• Front – Lift knee straight up and kick your foot towards your target using the ball of your foot.
• Roundhouse – Comes from the side in a circular motion striking with your shin. Raise your knee of your kicking leg and swing it in a circular motion striking your target with your shin. Your foot on the floor should pivot approximately 180 degrees. This not only causes your hips to turn over to properly execute the kick, but it also protects your knee from injury.
• Jab-jab-cross-left hook (1-1-2-3)
• Cross-left uppercut-cross-left hook-cross (2-5-2-3-2)
• Left front kick-right roundhouse kick x 2
• Right front kick-left roundhouse kick x 2
• Jab-jab-cross-left-hook (1-1-2-3)-right roundhouse kick
• Cross-left uppercut-cross-left hook-cross (2-5-2-3-2)-left roundhouse kick
Always stretch before starting to avoid muscle strain. Warm up next with some skipping and shadow boxing. Then, by using combinations of punches and kicks, do a series of work out rounds of approximately 3 minutes in duration on the bags, focus mitts, or kicking pads. Always include a cool down, and another stretch afterwards.
As always, incorporating proper nutrition with any workout is essential. Talk with your doctor before you decide to begin any type of exercise program.
Stay tuned for more details on my classes. They will be posted and available on the following social media networks as well:
– Battle Arts Academy on Twitter – @BattleArtsMMA
– Battle Arts Academy on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/BattleArtsAcademy
– My Facebook athlete page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nichelle-Laus-Fitness-Model-Figure-Competitor-Kickboxing-Instructor/218212881525939
– My Twitter and Instagram accounts: @nichellelaus