I get a lot of questions from aspiring models about the industry and asking me for advice. So I have decided to compile my most important tips to share with you. These are just my own personal opinions and Lord knows I’ve made mistakes too but life is a learning lesson and that’s how one grows to be successful.
1. Set your goal…then make mini goals to help you climb the ladder towards your major goal.
2. If minor setbacks and failures discourage you, then you are in the wrong industry. Rejection sucks but you need to get up, dust off and keep going. I have had a million rejections! I have also had LOTS of successes 🙂
3. I can’t stress this enough..PLEASE BE SELECTIVE when deciding to work with someone. It will ALWAYS come back to haunt you and potentially ruin you.
4. Find your niche (your modeling style that works for you). I am short and curvy–that can pretty much only allow me to be a glamour model and this works for me. It may not work for you. I could never be a fashion model…such is life and acceptance is key.
5. Be professional..at all times. (at work,at a party,in your responses to ignorant messages and in pictures you share on social media). I can’t stress enough how many eyes will potentially be on you, at all times and in different outlets. You wouldn’t want to lose a shoot/audition because you were seen acting trashy somewhere. Unfortunately, image IS everything.
6. Always be the bigger person. Especially when they publicly trash you. Yes you may want to retaliate but remember you are always being watched by industry professionals and fans. Your positive behavior will be remembered and beneficial for you in the future. Your negative response will also be remembered and you will lose future work.
7. Never talk behind peoples backs. It is very unbecoming AND this industry is small. You never know who is friends with who. The majority of bookings are from networking and industry friends.
8. Be polite, courteous, helpful. Oh and leave your diva attitude at home.
9. Take all of your gigs seriously..even if they are super fun.
10. You do not need to take naked or sleazy pictures to succeed OR sleep with people. Nudes are fine..keep it classy. Trust me on this, tasteful forms of nudity do not harm your career. Unless you want to be a presidential candidate maybe??!! Lol
11. We all need money but it is not everything. Lots of amateur photographers offer money to take your picture. You need to make a decision if you want an image of you that looks bad out there on the web forever..is it worth it? Remember, crappy pictures of you will hinder future bookings. (If it’s all about the money, then by all means work with everyone until your heart is content. If your goal is bigger then that..then be wary)
12. Work within YOUR limits. Not the photographers. Discuss in detail before going to a shoot. Have it in writing even if it’s only in an email.
13. Always listen to your intuition, check references,let friends know where you are shooting and with whom! Make sure you call someone (even if you are leaving yourself a voicemail) in front of the photographer saying that you have arrived,and when you’ll be leaving. Safety is important…and as always it’s a good idea to bring your OWN bottle of water!Jasmin Chase TV Host | Producer | Model www.JasminChase.com http://twitter.com/#!/JasminChase http://www.facebook.com/JasminChase123 http://www.youtube.com/user/MMAoverdrive
Photo credit: Paul Venemous | Creative: Jasmin Chase